To conquer Japanese you should know a lot of Japanese vocabulary. Learning vocabulary through books is one of the effective ways. Today we’ll give you Top 5 Japanese Vocabulary books and how to use them.
Top 5 Japanese Vocabulary Books you should know
1. “Japanese Vocabulary” (Barron’s Vocabulary)
Author: Carol and Nobuo Akiyama
This book organizes thousands of common Japanese words into categories. It’s excellent for beginner and intermediate students who wish to focus on specific areas or supplement their own studies with vocabulary.
- Very reasonable price at less than $10.
- Small yet comprehensive.
- Romaji makes it easy for beginners and topical organization lets students emphasize particular areas as needed.
2. “Modern Japanese Vocabulary: A Guide for 21st Century Students”
Author: Edward P. Trimnell
Here’s another vocabulary builder that organizes terms by topic. Words cover a variety of subjects such as law, the Internet, dentistry, culture, history and more.
- Useful for beginner and intermediate students who want to supplement studies with vocabulary.
- Kanji and kana included with easy-to-read fonts.
- Topics can be very detailed, so this is helpful for students who want to expand their vocabulary.
3. Japanese Vocabulary Book: A topic Based Approach
This Japanese vocabulary book contains more than 3000 words and phrases which are grouped by topic to make it easier for you to pick what to learn first. On top of that, the index in the second half of the book provides you with a basic Japanese-English as well as English-Japanese dictionary which makes this a great resource for learners of all levels.
This Japanese learning resource is a combination of Japanese vocabulary book and a two-way basic Japanese dictionary:
- Part 1: Topic-based Japanese vocabulary book
- Part 2: Basic English-Japanese dictionary
- Part 3: Basic Japanese-English dictionary
How to use this Japanese Vocabulary book
We suggest you first work your way through the verbs, adjectives and phrases chapters in part one of the book. This will give you a great base for further studying and already enough vocabulary for basic communication.
4. Essential Japanese vocabulary
Author: Akira Miura
Essential Japanese Vocabulary teaches all the Japanese grammar you need to speak and understand simple spoken Japanese.
In short chapters, it helps the user understand the logic of Japanese grammar, while its straightforward explanations and clear examples make learning as easy as possible. The book includes a glossary of grammatical terms and an index, as well as appendixes on Japanese pronunciation and verb conjugation.
This is a clear, simple and compact guide to colloquial, everyday Japanese.
- Acquire basic proficiency in spoken Japanese.
- A streamlined, efficient approach.
- Perfect for self–learners or classroom use.
- Includes kanji and kana.
5. Schaum’s outline of Japanese vocabulary
Author: Shigeru Eguchi
More than 40 million students have trusted Schaum’s Outlines for their expert knowledge and helpful solved problems. Written by renowned experts in their respective fields, Schaum’s Outlines cover everything from math to science, nursing to language.
- 788 practice exercises
- Outline format facilitates quick and easy review of Japanese vocabulary
- Examples and exercises in both Japanese characters and English transliteration
- Appropriate for the following courses: First-Year Japanese, Elementary Japanese, Japanese A & B, Independent Studies in Japanese
- Easy-to-follow review of Japanese vocabulary
- Supports all the major textbooks for Japanese courses
The above is Top 5 Japanese Vocabulary book you should know. Wish you learn Japanese well.
If you have any question please comment below, we’ll give you an answer.